Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I toad you it is almost spring time

Our Texas winter has been generally pretty mild this year. Not much freezing temps, no snow, and only one ice storm to speak about. While I appreciate the fairly mild days as compared to other parts of the nation, we have also had little rain this winter. We are pushing into spring time, and we are still not getting our spring time rains yet. Tonight I saw that one of our toads has returned to the porch to start munching on bugs. The are Woodhouses Toads, and gravitate towards lights. The porch light brings them out, and we have to watch our step when we head out the door, to not squish one. Not sure why, but their arrival is kind of exciting. I guess it is because I know that indeed, spring is just around the corner.



Hank has finally started to shed some. The others have been shedding for a couple weeks. We have a ride in a little over a week, and I bet I can't get him shed out by then. And of course that means the loose hairs have to be watched so they don't ball up and rub under the girth, saddle pad etc.

He has been doing super with his longer / faster training rides I have built him up to, so I hope that indeed, his tummy is all better. But, I need to see how things go at a few more rides before I can relax some. Then, after a couple more NATRC rides, I will try another 50 mile endurance ride. But I want to wait until we do a couple more competitive rides before we push to the next level again.

Spent the day fussing over the camper, checking propane, cleaning the water tank and lines in the camper, and cleaning out the trailers tackroom. Have sprayed water proofing on all my jackets, and Hanks blanket. Maybe for once, I will not be rushing around at the last min. getting things ready to go to the ride!

2 comments:

Mel said...

LOL - no matter how prepared i am, I always seem to be rushing around at the last minute.

Tammy in TX said...

I love your play on words Jonni! Toad you! LOL

Tammy Haley R4