Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fall from the back of a horse

Wow, 2 and a half months since Hank had his surgery. Seems like it was just yesterday I was changing bandages, giving shots, and taking him for walks in the dark to graze. Last week I got Hank out for a couple rides. Keeping things short, we did from 4-6 miles, mostly walking. The first day went well, and he seemed "normal". So, decided to take him out again the next day. I am a bit paranoid, I am sure, but I had convinced myself he was walking with a much shorter stride. Also he was not wanting to graze along the trail like he had been. (a sign he is upset with something) So, I cut things shorter than planned, and headed back to the trailer. As I sat in the tackroom doorway, I looked up and he was standing there with his eyes shut, napping. So, not sure if we over did things, or he was just having an "off" day. So, he had some days off, and was acting just fine out in the pasture. Still moving around fine, and chasing poor Gambler. And, he appetite was not telling me anything was amiss.

Saturday we headed to the trails again, to take in more of this unusually glorious weather. Even though the trails were busy with other riders, we found ourselves riding along with just the two of us. He was back to his normal self, and I could not find a thing to worry about. We did about 6-7 miles, and at the end, he did not seem tired, and could have gone more. Today we headed out again, as the weather is about to change, and wanted to get him oat and see if he showed me the weird behaviour like the last time we went 2 days in a row. As we headed out, I hear my name, and see one of our NATRC friends out on her horse who has been on a long lay up. We rode back to where they were parked, then headed back past my trailer, and on towards our planned route. I try to cal or text hubby with my planned route. I found nothing unusual with him today, and he really acted no different than he did before the surgery. He was willing to trot when asked, spooked at all the stupid things he spooks at, and when I went to open one of the gates, he started thinking ahead, as to which way we were doing the gate. Push, pull, go through forwards, backwards etc. Darn horse just thinks TOOOO much sometimes. We saw only a couple other horses, and again enjoyed the trails to ourselves. I had my Ipod along, and I sang to Hank some, but he never seems to appreciate my efforts. The ear buds are connected to my helmet, so they are near my ears, but not inside. This way I can hear my music, but also the noises around me, depending on the volume I have set.

I was very pleased with how he did. It took away some of that paranoia I had after watching him nap after that one ride. Might have been that warm sunshine! I snapped some photos of our Fall colors and scenery. Because we did not get a quick frost/freeze, the colors have not really popped this year. Just a slow change. But still beautiful out there, and more beautiful from the back of a horse.




No comments: